Hove Deep Sea Anglers
Members Club
Menu

Shoreham Harbour History

 

1843 A Silver Medal was awarded to Coastguard Abraham Young for rescuing five
men from the smack Prince Rupert.

1845 A lifeboat was placed on service by the Shoreham Harbour Commissioners.

1865 The RNLI established a station and a boathouse was built on Kingston Beach.

1870 A slipway was built to improve launching.

1875 A Silver Medal was awarded to William Sheader for attempting to rescue
Robert Brasier who had drowned when the lifeboat capsized on exercise on 16
December 1874.

1924 The station closed when the harbour’s entrance silted up.

1929 The station was re-opened when the sand bar had disappeared. The station’s first
motor lifeboat was placed on service.

1933 A new boathouse and slipway were built on Kingston Beach.

1940 The Shoreham lifeboat Rosa Woodand Phyllis Lunn took part in the evacuation
of the British Expeditionary Force from Dunkirk in May.

1941 A Silver Medal was awarded to Acting Coxswain James Upperton and Bronze
Medal to Motor Mechanic Henry Philcox for rescuing 22 people from the
minesweeper President Briand.

1948 A Silver Medal was awarded to Coxswain James Upperton for rescuing six crew
from the yacht Gull.

1965 The station was presented with a Centenary Vellum.

1967 An inshore lifeboat (ILB) station was established in July with a D class lifeboat.

1968 A Framed Letter of Thanks was sent to the Coxswain and crew for saving the
two crew from the yacht Jean Ann.

1972 A Bronze Medal was awarded to Coxswain John Fox and the Thanks of the
Institution Inscribed on Vellum to Assistant Mechanic Ken L Everard for rescuing the
five crew from the drilling rig William Allpress on 19 October 1971.

1973 5 August: A Bronze Medal was awarded to Coxswain John Fox for rescuing three crew from
the yacht Albin Ballad. Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum were awarded
to Assistant Mechanic Ken Everard and Crew Member Geoff Tugwell who leapt
aboard the yacht to secure a towline.

1973 20 September: The Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum was awarded to Coxswain John
Fox for rescuing the two crew from the yacht Lugger.

1977 The Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum was awarded to Helmsman
Michael Fox for rescuing three people from the capsized sailing dinghy Serendippy.

1980 A Silver Medal was awarded to Coxswain Kenneth Voice and The Thanks of
the Institution Inscribed on Vellum were awarded to Second Coxswain Kenneth
Everard, Motor Mechanic Jack Silverson, Assistant Mechanic Michael Fox,
Emergency Mechanics Geoff Tugwell and John Landale and Crew Member Peter
Huxtable for rescuing the 26 crew from the cargo vessel Athina B. The rescue took 15
hours in gale force winds and violent seas.

1990 The boathouse was adapted for the new Tyne class lifeboat, ON-1158 Hermione
Lady Colwyn, which arrived at the station on 30 September.

1996 The D class lifeboat, D-501 Forest Row Choir, was placed on service on 14 May.

1999 The Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum was awarded to Coxswain
Peter Huxtable for locating and towing in the yacht Trimley Maid in very rough seas
and gusting force 9 winds.

2001 A Framed Letter of Thanks was presented to Coxswain Peter Huxtable when
the lifeboat rescued two people and saved the fishing vessel Stephanie B on 25
October 2000.

2005 Coxswain Peter Huxtable was awarded the MBE in the Queen's New Year's
Honours. The new D class lifeboat Barry Lazell was placed on service.
Station honours At Shoreham Harbour lifeboat station the following awards have been made:
Framed Letter of Thanks Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum 11, Bronze Medal 3
Silver Medal 5

 

 

  • Facebook
  • Twitter